I’ve only recently begun experimenting with different vegan cheese (or cheeze if you like). My all time favourite that I’ve made has been this amazing cashew cheese that so far I’ve had as a macaroni cheese sauce, pizza topping and AMAZING cheese bites – all from the same recipe!
So all you need is
- 1/4 cup of soaked cashews
- 2 cups of hot water
- 5 tbsp plain flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- Whack it all into a blender for a minute or two. The first time I tried it I only blended it for about 20 seconds and it was and bit too lumpy. Worked well as cheese bites but wouldn’t work for a sauce. Also, if you are making sauce this is the ONLY instruction so make sure you use water straight from the kettle so it’s hot enough! For the cheese sauce just pour it over your food and you’re done. For anything else continue to step 2!Pasta with cheese sauce straight from the blender!
- Transfer the sauce into a saucepan and pop it on a medium heat and stir a lot! You will quickly see the sauce start to thicken and if you don’t stir it will burn. I usually keep it on the hob for about 20 minutes, by then it gets really thick and a little bit stringy (not like dairy cheese stringy but stringy nonetheless).
- Once you deem it thick enough stick it in a container and leave it for a while. It will go a little bit hard on the outside where it’s exposed to air but that’s fine. You now have your pizza cheese! It might even work in a sandwich or toastie but I haven’t tried that yet, let me know how you use it!
- For the cheesy bites (rapidly becoming my new favourite food!) chop the cheese into strips and fry. I’ve fried with oil and vegan butter (Flora dairy free) but haven’t tried it dry fried yet. Fry on each side until brown and then dry with a kitchen towel and enjoy! If they aren’t crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside you’ve done something wrong!